|
|
|
Hong Kong's CK Hutchison seeks negotiations over Panama canal ports Panama City, Feb 19 (AFP) Feb 19, 2026 Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison Holdings asked the Panamanian government on Thursday to enter negotiations to allow it to continue operating the Panama Canal's two terminal ports, a company spokesperson said. Panama's Supreme Court last month invalidated Hutchison's contract following repeated threats from President Donald Trump that the United States would seek to reclaim the waterway, which he claimed was controlled by China. Following that decision, Panama announced that the Danish company Maersk would take over operation of the Balbao and Cristobal ports on either side of the canal. CK Hutchison threatened legal action over the move. "We request that there be a roundtable discussion between CK Hutchison and representatives of the executive branch to seek a reasonable solution," said Alejandro Kouruklis, spokesperson for the Hutchison subsidiary that operates the ports, in an interview on Radio Red on Thursday. jjr/axm/nn/aha/dw |
|
|
|
All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
|