Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Hong Kong to offer buy-outs for flats damaged in deadly fire
ADVERTISEMENT


Hong Kong, Feb 21 (AFP) Feb 21, 2026
Hong Kong authorities announced on Saturday a buy-out offer for owners who lost their homes in last year's deadly housing complex fire and said the charred buildings will be demolished.

The blaze in November, the world's deadliest residential building fire since 1980, killed 168 people and left thousands homeless at Wang Fuk Court, a high-rise apartment complex in northern Hong Kong.

Displaced residents have urged the government to come up with resettlement options, with some hoping for the estate to be rebuilt.

Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong said Hong Kong authorities will spend up to HK$6.8 billion ($870 million) to acquire property titles from flat owners, either in cash or as part of a flat swap.

"The scale of the disaster is unprecedented, and currently there is no effective market mechanism to assist affected households," Wong told a news conference.

Just over 1,700 owners would receive an offer of between $441,000 to $650,000, depending on their flat's size and whether they paid land premiums.

Wong said the fire was a "special case of an exceptional nature" that warranted government intervention to avoid the flats becoming worthless.

Seven of the estate's eight towers suffered "irreversible" internal damage in the fire.

It was "not appropriate" to rebuild the complex because the process would take at least nine years, Wong said, proposing instead to build a park or community facilities on the site.

Only nine percent of flat owners surveyed insisted on redevelopment on the same site as the only option, Wong said.

"In formulating the government's package, it is impossible to satisfy the wishes of everyone," he said.

The buybacks will use an estimated $510 million in taxpayer money, with the rest coming from a relief fund.

Lau, a retiree who lived in the estate for more than four decades, told AFP last month that he and his wife preferred the quickest rehousing option.

"At my age, I can't wait a decade, even though I initially supported redevelopment," said Lau, who gave only his family name.

But resident Wong Kuen-mui, an insurance worker, said she was "quite disappointed" by the government's proposal.

"All along I was in favour of rebuilding on the same site... The acquisition price may not be enough to buy a flat of similar size," Wong said.

Those who accept the acquisition offer will have priority to pick from 3,900 subsidised housing flats, with selection set to begin in September.

The plan does not cover Wang Chi House, the sole housing block unaffected by fire, unless its flat owners reach a consensus to join, officials said.


ADVERTISEMENT





Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.