. China News .

China blocks Tiananmen anniversary remembrance
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) June 04, 2013

Tiananmen crackdown mayor dies: report
Beijing (AFP) June 04, 2013 - The former Mayor of Beijing who was believed to have played a prominent role in the Tiananmen crackdown died at the weekend, it was reported Tuesday, 24 years after the military repression.

Chen Xitong died in Beijing on Sunday at 9.54am, according to Hong Kong China News Agency, an outlet which is linked to the state run China News Service.

Chen fell from grace in one of China's biggest political scandals and was widely seen as the official who pushed for the use of military force against the student-led protests in the heart of the capital.

He was sentenced to 16 years in jail on corruption charges in 1998, but won medical parole in 2006, according to the HKCNA report.

He died aged 84, the report said, shortly before his jail sentence would have ended had it been fully served.

His political downfall came after he was promoted to Communist Party secretary of Beijing and made a member on the all-powerful Politburo, China's de facto ruling body.

His rise in the party was widely seen as a reward for his role in the Tiananmen episode.

Chen said he was "sorry" for the tragedy and that the deaths could have been avoided in an interview contained in a book released last year titled "Conversations with Chen Xitong".

He also attempted to shift the blame, saying he was merely acting on orders from the top leadership.

But Zhao Ziyang, the former communist party secretary who was purged and held under house arrest following the protests after he sympathised with students, blamed Chen for the tragedy in his memoir.

Other senior figures within the Communist Party also said Chen was one of the masterminds of the crackdown.

The report of his death emerged as tens of thousands of Hong Kongers attended a candlelight vigil marking the 24th anniversary of the crackdown, as Beijing blocked commemoration attempts.

The Chinese Communist Party branded the Tiananmen protests a "counter-revolutionary rebellion". Hundreds, perhaps thousands of people were killed in the June 3-4 onslaught in Beijing in 1989.

Chinese police blocked the gate of a cemetery holding the remains of victims of the Tiananmen crackdown on its 24th anniversary Tuesday, ahead of a vigil expected to see 150,000 people gather in Hong Kong.

Authorities launch a major push every June 4 to prevent discussion of the violently crushed 1989 pro-democracy protests, China's most widely condemned human rights stain in recent decades, in which at least hundreds of people died.

Hong Kong and Macau both enjoy special privileges and are the only two cities in China where open commemorations are possible, and the large candlelit vigil in the former British colony is a rallying point for critics of Beijing's influence.

In Beijing, more than a dozen security officials were deployed outside the stone gate at the Wanan graveyard in the west of the city, which members of the Tiananmen Mothers, a victims' relatives group, visit each year.

Zhang Xianling, who lost her 19-year-old son in the violence, was among at least 10 people escorted into the cemetery to visit relatives' graves, she told AFP, adding that plain-clothes police officers stood close by, some filming the mourners.

Two security personnel had been stationed outside her door since Saturday, she said. "I can leave the house when I want, but the officers will both follow me."

For the first time in years she was allowed to speak to other mourners at the graveyard, she said. "We can only meet once a year, so preventing us from doing so is very cruel."

In a narrow street close to Beijing's Forbidden City, security personnel patrolled outside the former house of Zhao Ziyang, the former communist party secretary who was purged and held under house arrest following the protests.

Individuals in civilian clothes sought to block AFP filming in the area, as a man was taken away.

Several police vehicles were positioned on Tiananmen Square itself, a vast concrete plaza in the centre of the capital, where huge video screens celebrated "Green Beijing" with images of a spinning wind turbine.

Hundreds of mostly Chinese tourists strolled, posing with national flags and snapping pictures on smartphones. Some had their identification cards checked by police.

The uniformed police numbers were no higher than usual, said a snack vendor who asked not to be named. But he added: "Most police are plain clothes, you don't know when they might be listening."

The Tiananmen protests were the Chinese Communist Party's greatest crisis since it came to power in 1949.

Deng Xiaoping justified the military intervention -- which saw more than 200,000 troops deployed -- as being against a "counter-revolutionary rebellion".

Discussion of the incident, however, has been so widely suppressed that most young Chinese are barely aware of it.

Beijing has never provided an official final toll for the repression, which was condemned throughout the world and led to its temporary isolation on the international stage. Unofficial estimates range from around 200 to more than 3,000.

At the time, Chinese authorities spoke of 241 killed -- including soldiers -- and 7,000 wounded. Independent observers tallied more than 1,000 dead in Beijing, without including victims elsewhere.

People were expected to flood into Hong Kong's Victoria Park Tuesday for an annual vigil which is also a forum for protest over Chinese interference in the city's affairs, amid fears it could lose freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland.

Organisers said they expected 150,000 people to attend.

"I think all of us, even the new generation in Hong Kong, would have the same feeling that it is a tragedy and also an offence of the government to shoot people like that," said Richard Choi, vice chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China.

On the mainland, authorities detained or enhanced surveillance surrounding at least 10 prominent dissidents, according to the Hong Kong-based advocacy group China Human Rights Defenders.

Online searches for a wide range of keywords on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, were blocked, from "Tiananmen" to "candle", which was used to encourage digital vigils.

Activists turned instead to overseas websites to commemorate the event and criticise authorities.

"The dispute in this country is basically stuck on whether to light a candle or to extinguish it," dissident artist Ai Weiwei posted on Twitter.


Related Links
China News from SinoDaily.com

Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Memory Foam Mattress Review

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

Get Our Free Newsletters
Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear


Hong Kong marks Tiananmen as China blocks remembrance
Hong Kong , China (AFP) June 04, 2013
Tens of thousands of Hong Kongers braved thunder and torrential rain to attend a candlelight vigil Tuesday marking the 24th anniversary of China's bloody Tiananmen crackdown, as Beijing blocked commemoration attempts. A crowd packed the former British colony's Victoria Park in an annual act of remembrance for the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people killed in the June 3-4 onslaught in Beij ... read more

Winemakers sound alarm as EU-China trade war looms

Hundreds fall sick in Bangladesh garment factory

About 100 Chinese arrested in Ghana for illegal mining

China, Mexico presidents agree on 'strategic' partnership

Climate and land use: Europe's floods raise questions

China opens EU wine probe as trade dispute spreads

Investigators link poultry contamination on farm and at processing plant

Stopping the worm from turning

Now is the time to invest in Africa: Japan's Abe

Japan, eyeing China, pledges $14 bn aid to Africa

Climate change drowning the 'Venice of Africa'

Outside View: Somalia's Jubaland

Los Alamos catalyst could jumpstart e-cars, green energy

Volvo chief acknowledges errors, says to stay in US

Monitoring system can detect dangerous fatigue in mine truck driver

Electric cars slow to gain traction in Germany

Russia woos new Bulgaria cabinet to resume nuclear project

S. Korea, US hold talks on key nuclear accord

Thousands rally against nuclear power in Tokyo

TEPCO seeks yet more cash for Fukushima payouts

US, China to hold regular talks on hacking: White House

NATO takes up cyber-defence as threat grows

US defense chief accuses China of cyber spying

Push for US Internet 'wiretap' law faces tough road

China's first lady shines on LatAm trip with Xi

US might support Colombia NATO bid: US official

Bradley Manning: Heroic whistleblower or US traitor?

China distances itself from claim it owns Okinawa

Uruguay deficit likely to speed windpower plans

Romania decree threatens green energy projects

Philippines ready to move forward on renewable energy?

Cold climate wind energy showing huge potential

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement