Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) June 16, 2014
An ambitious Chinese plan to build a replica of 15th century explorer Zheng He's "treasure ship" has run aground, reports said Monday, with some questioning whether the vessel will ever sail.
According to the state-run China Daily newspaper, work began in 2005 on the replica, which, if completed, would be the world's largest handmade wooden ship.
Yet the 71.1-metre-long vessel now stands half-finished at a shipyard in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing, with those involved in the project offering conflicting explanations for the delay.
Admiral Zheng He, China's most famous sailor, embarked on a two-year expedition in the 1400s that took his fleet of 300 ships and 30,000 men as far as Africa.
He was a Muslim from Yunnan who became an imperial eunuch after being taken captive and castrated at the age of 10 by the Ming as their armies overthrew the area's Mongol rulers.
At court he rose quickly to become a key adviser, before being entrusted with his voyages of exploration.
Some writers claim he beat Christopher Columbus to America, but that version of history is widely seen as controversial.
The replica is a joint project between the government of Nanjing's Gulou district and a Malaysian electronics company, according to the China Daily.
Nanjing's Modern Express newspaper reported last week that construction on the project has been halted for almost a year due to lack of funds.
But Bian Guanghong, head of the company building the ship, denied that money was behind the delay.
"The craftsmen on the project ... are old and need to have a break this summer. That's the reason for the suspension," he told the China Daily.
One of the shipwrights rebutted the suggestion, telling the newspaper that "some problems between the two companies and the workers should be solved first".
China News from SinoDaily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|