Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Indonesia still does not recognise China's sea claims: minister
ADVERTISEMENT


Jakarta, Dec 2 (AFP) Dec 02, 2024
Indonesia still does not recognise Beijing's claims in the South China Sea, Foreign Minister Sugiono said Monday, seeking to dismiss concerns that a recent joint statement with China could jeopardise its sovereignty.

The Southeast Asian nation sparked reactions last month as it reached a "common understanding on joint development in areas of overlapping claims" in a joint statement with China made during President Prabowo Subianto's visit to Beijing.

The statement was widely seen as recognition of China's sweeping claims in the South China Sea, where Beijing has for years sought to expand its presence in the contested waters and brushed aside an international ruling that its claim to most of the waterway has no legal basis.

"Indonesia maintains a position that there is no appropriate international legal basis in the nine-dash line issue," Sugiono, who goes by one name, told lawmakers, referring to a line China has used on maps to demarcate its claims to almost the entirety of the strategic waterway.

"The main principle is that Mr. President directed that Indonesia would increase cooperation with neighbours for the national interest. On sovereignty, we do not shift from our position."

He said Jakarta and Beijing had yet to agree on the areas for joint development projects, adding that Indonesia had informed leaders of neighbouring countries of the plan "to reduce tension".

Beijing and Jakarta are key economic allies, with Chinese companies ploughing money into extracting Indonesian natural resources in recent years, particularly in the nickel sector.

But confrontations over what Indonesia says are Chinese incursions into its territorial waters have weighed on the trading partners' relationship in recent years.

In October, Indonesia said it drove a Chinese coast guard ship from contested waters in the South China Sea three times in a week.


ADVERTISEMENT





Space News from SpaceDaily.com
UAE extends Mars probe mission until 2028
Exolaunch to deploy five satellites on Spectrum mission from Norway
Sateliot books Spanish Miura 5 launch for two next gen Trito satellites in 2027

24/7 Energy News Coverage
Junk to high-tech: India bets on e-waste for critical minerals
Indonesia coal plant closure U-turn sows energy transition doubts
Indonesia capital faces 'filthy' trash crisis

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
EU top diplomat rejects Europe 'bashing' by US as calls grow for a US reset
European debate over nuclear weapons gains pace
Supreme leader says Iran can sink US warship as Geneva talks conclude

24/7 News Coverage
Slow mantle flow built Antarctica gravity low over tens of millions of years
Southern Indian Ocean waters lose salt as climate shifts currents
Coffee regions hit by extra days of extreme heat: scientists



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.