China News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China launches campaign against fire hazards; as calls for accountability over HK fire silenced

China launches campaign against fire hazards; as calls for accountability over HK fire silenced

by AFP Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Nov 29, 2025

China has launched a campaign against fire hazards in high-rise buildings, state media reported Saturday, after at least 128 people were killed in one of Hong Kong's deadliest blazes.

The inferno -- the financial hub's worst in decades -- sent shock waves through the city, which has some of the world's most densely populated and tallest residential blocks.

State broadcaster CCTV reported on Saturday that China's State Council Work Safety Committee had "recently" issued a notice launching an inspection and rectification campaign targeting major fire risks and hazards in high-rise buildings.

During the campaign, high-rise buildings will be inspected for the use of flammable or combustible materials, CCTV said.

There will also be checks on the use of materials such as bamboo scaffolding or non-flame-retardant safety nets, it added.

"All regions must... strengthen their sense of responsibility, coordinate development and safety, and treat the investigation and remediation of major fire risks in high-rise buildings as a critical task," CCTV said.

"Supervision and inspection must be intensified to ensure tangible results."

Calls for accountability over lethal Hong Kong fire silenced
Hong Kong (AFP) Nov 30, 2025 - Not long before he was reportedly detained, Miles Kwan approached commuters outside a Hong Kong train station, urging them to demand accountability for the deadly inferno that tore through nearby apartment blocks.

"We all feel unhappy that (Hong Kong) has come to this and we want things to improve," the 24-year-old student told AFP on Friday, while handing out flyers that called for an independent probe into the blaze, which killed at least 128 people this week.

"We need to be frank about how today's Hong Kong is riddled with holes, inside and out."

Kwan and other organisers' demands turned into an online petition that gained more than 10,000 signatures in less than a day.

But local media reported on Saturday night that Kwan was arrested on suspicion of sedition by national security police and the text of the online petition had been deleted, showing how under Beijing's watchful eye, dissenting voices in Hong Kong can vanish as quickly as they appear.

Police declined to confirm the arrest, saying only that they "will take actions according to actual circumstances and in accordance with the law".

AFP's attempts to reach Kwan by phone on Sunday morning went unanswered.

Hong Kong was once home to spirited political activism, but that has faded since Beijing imposed a strict national security law in 2020 following huge pro-democracy protests in the Chinese finance hub.

Kwan was reportedly detained not long after Beijing's national security arm in Hong Kong publicly condemned "anti-China forces" for exploiting the disaster and "inciting social division and stirring hatred against authorities."

Asked on Friday if he feared being arrested, Kwan told AFP he was only "proposing very basic demands".

"If these ideas are deemed seditious or 'crossing the line', then I feel I can't predict the consequences of anything anymore, and I can only do what I truly believe."

- Grenfell comparisons -

Kwan and a handful of activists gave out flyers at the train station near the charred residential estate on Friday, demanding government accountability, an independent probe into possible corruption, proper resettlement for residents and a review of construction oversight.

The demands reflected a belief that the fire was "not an accident" but a man-made disaster, he said.

Authorities have arrested 11 people in connection to the blaze that tore through the high-rise blocks of Wang Fuk Court, the world's deadliest residential building fire since 1980.

Hong Kong has previously used judge-led commissions of inquiry (COI) to undertake complex fact-finding exercises in a public forum -- a practice left over from British colonial rule.

By contrast, city officials have so far announced only an inter-departmental task force to investigate the blaze.

When Britain was grappling with public fury over the devastating Grenfell Tower fire in 2017, which killed 72 people, the government announced a public inquiry.

Lawyer Imran Khan, who represented the bereaved and survivors in the inquiry, told AFP "the lessons from Grenfell apply around the world" as all governments need to ensure high-rise residential buildings are safe.

Khan said a public inquiry with court-like powers was a better option for the situation in Hong Kong because "an internal investigation will not get to the truth and there will be no faith in it by the bereaved, survivors and residents".

Based on his experience with Grenfell residents, he said, "without justice they cannot grieve".

At the Hong Kong station on Friday, many commuters took the flyers demanding action, though few stopped to chat with Kwan or his companions.

Near the site of the blaze a short walk away, a long queue snaked through a park as mourners brought flowers and handwritten notes of remembrance.

One unsigned note left on the ground read, "This is not just an accident, it is the evil fruit of an unjust system, which landed on you. It's not right."

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China FM pledges support for Syria in 'achieving peace'
Beijing (AFP) Nov 17, 2025
China's top diplomat Wang Yi pledged support for Damascus on Monday in "achieving peace at an early date", as his Syrian counterpart Asaad al-Shaibani made his first official visit to Beijing. Shaibani's trip to China comes amid growing efforts to rebuild Syria's diplomatic presence after years of international isolation under Bashar al-Assad. Syria's new Islamist authorities are facing significant challenges, including reconstructing the country after the overthrow of longtime ruler Assad last ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China returns research samples from space station to Earth for study

Resupply spacecraft prepared for Tiangong station after safe crew return

China's Shenzhou-20 astronauts return to Earth after delay

Tiangong hosts dual crews after debris impact delays Shenzhou-20 return

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
US to slap big surcharge on foreign visitors to national parks

China likely to bid on building new Panama Canal ports

Asian stocks extend global rally as data boost rate cut hopes

Japan's Takaichi insists $135 bn stimulus fiscally 'responsible'

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Japan-China row over Taiwan highlights fragile ties

Ukraine, China's critical mineral dominance, on agenda as G7 meets

Trump says 'we've had a lot of problems' with France

UN Security Council votes to lift sanctions on Syrian president

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Microbes join forces to quickly clean up uranium pollution

Successful fabrication of nuclear fuel assemblies boosts Barakah plant supply chain

Electrochemical system boosts uranium recovery from wastewater

World's biggest nuclear plant edges closer to restart

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
UK to host military Esports games in cyber skills drive

Alibaba denies report it helps China's military target US

Anthropic says Chinese state hackers deployed AI for autonomous attacks

Chinese court rejects appeal by journalist jailed for espionage: family

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Microbes join forces to quickly clean up uranium pollution

Successful fabrication of nuclear fuel assemblies boosts Barakah plant supply chain

Electrochemical system boosts uranium recovery from wastewater

World's biggest nuclear plant edges closer to restart

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
S.Africa seeks to save birds from wind turbine risks

Vertical wind turbines may soon power UK railways using tunnel airflow

Danish wind giant Orsted to cut workforce by a quarter

French-German duo wins mega offshore wind energy project

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.